Short of fireworks, ice cream sandwiches, and burgers, few combinations are quite as summery to me as tomatoes + basil + mozzarella. Caprese salad is just such a treat when your basil and tomatoes are fresh from the garden!
My Caprese Style Summer Salad is a heartier, full-meal take on a classic caprese.White navy beans add extra protein, the corn adds some sweetness, and the avocado brings healthy fats and creaminess. It’s great as a side dish or a light meal, and it’s the perfect salad to bring to your next barbeque.
- 1 container pearl/mini mini bocconcini
- 1 quart cherry or grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 can white navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1 can corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Big pinch sugar
- Big pinch salt
- This is an easy one-- place tomatoes, basil, bocconcini, corn, and beans in a large bowl, and mix well. Add avocado.
- In a small glass, mix together olive oil, balsamic, sugar, and salt.
- Pour over salad, mix until evenly distributed.
- Serve cold, pair with baguette, rose, and a hot summer day.
- I like my dressing very vinegary. If you're less into that, use 1 Tbsp balsamic instead of two.
- As you can tell from the photos, I grilled my corn for some extra flavour before putting it in the salad. It isn't necessary-- this salad is great either way.