Even if you don’t like the taste of tofu, you’ll love these Tofu Dippers! Easy to make and great with any sauce you can name, this two-ingredient appetizer has a lovely nuttiness to it. Don’t think of these little beauties as a concession to your vegan guests– they’re great for meat eaters, too!
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 cup canola oil (sunflower, avocado, or coconut work nicely as well)
- Cut tofu into 'stick' style slices, about half an inch thick and 2-4 inches long.
- In a narrow-but-deep pot, heat oil on low-high to medium-high heat (about a 7 on most stoves) for 5 minutes.
- Place strips into hot oil. It's ok if they aren't fully covered, so long as one side is fully submerged.
- Keep an eye on each individual strip, but cook for about 6 minutes before flipping.
- Cook remaining side for 6 minutes, until firm and a deep golden brown.
- Remove from oil with tongs, and place on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Let cool before serving.