This quickie post is thanks to one of my favourite food girls (and all-around babe), Christine Teigen. For those of you that don’t know her, Teigen is a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model, the new wife of John Legend, and is a force to be reckoned with in the kitchen. She’s always a fantastic example of balancing a love of food and cooking with health and staying in uber-bikini-ready shape.
Anyway, a few days back she posted her dinner on Instagram— cajun catfish, topped with a fried egg and avocado. It looked so good that I made my own version last night– blackening the catfish, bedding it on wilted spinach, and cooking the yolk all the way through (runny egg yolks are the things of my nightmares). It turned out beautifully and deliciously, and I have the gorgeous Ms. Teigen to thank!
- 2 fillets catfish, marinated in Cajun seasoning (either pre-made or make your own)
- Dash of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced thin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Get two frying pans and one pot ready-- trust me, you'll be glad it's all laid out before you.
- Heat olive oil for 2-3 minutes on medium-high in a frying pan.
- When it's good and hot, add your catfish, and be ready for smoke. You'll want to cook the catfish for around 3 minutes per side.
- As your catfish is cooking, place your spinach in a pot and steam for 3-4 minutes.
- Also as your catfish is cooking, crack your eggs into your other frying pans and cook to your liking.
- Flip your catfish after about 3 minutes-- you want blackened, not burned to a crisp.
- When your fish and eggs are nearly done, bed your plate with the wilted spinach.
- Place catfish on top of the spinach, and flip egg onto the catfish.
- Finally, finish with avocado slices and salt and pepper.