This super filling soup will load you up with energy and keep you warm on even the chilliest of January nights. It’s 100% clean and full of protein, fibre, and veggie goodness.
And did I mention it tastes great, stores impossibly well, and is beyond easy to make?
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 white onions, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 3 cans crushed, unseasoned tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp vegetable stock
- Umpteen cups of water
- 4 Tbsp garam masala
- 2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp groud black pepper
- 1 lb raw shrimp, deshelled
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 cups kale, despined and chopped
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until fragrant and becoming transparent.
- Add garlic. Stir, and cook for 40 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add one cup of water, veggie stock, and one can of tomatoes. Reduce to almost nothing.
- Add 8 cups of water, your remaining tomatoes, and all spices. Reduce on medium heat.
- Add another 4 cups of water, and repeat reduction process. This really brings out the flavours!
- About half an hour before you're ready to eat, add the shrimp, kale, beans, and cauliflower. Cook on medium-low heat.
- Serve piping hot in big bowls. If you can't handle the heat, try adding a big dollop of fat-free greek yogurt to the mix!
This soup actually tastes better the day after it’s made, so store it in a big tupperware container and enjoy it for lunch the next day.